Monday, January 26, 2009

Just Enough Energy to Write

I've heard of babies getting their days and nights confused, but have never actually experienced it...at least until now. For most of the last nine days, Madison has spent her days peacefully sleeping and her nights battling restlessness and yucky (and stinky) gas. A couple nights ago we all thought she had generously switched her schedule by sleeping all night, only to awake to feed. But the very next night she reverted to her old ways, and then last night slept 7 hours straight. I'm guessing this cycle may continue back and forth from days to nights until she figures it all out. Until then I will take whatever sleep I can get.

Other than the vampire effect she is absolutely adorable and perfect in every way (except that whole original sin issue). On Saturday several of our friends gathered here at our house to welcome both Madison and her older (by 12 days) friend, Bekah. Honestly I think all showers, except for the first child, should happen after the baby comes. What a great way to show off the baby and stock up on necessities or just really cute outfits for her to wear. Katy and I both had a blast and I actually felt a bit rejuvenated considering I was working on 2 1/2 hours of sleep.

So Blake is sick now. Saturday night, our worst so far, brought not only an awake newborn but also a 20 month old with a 103.6 fever. Neil, my mom, and I felt like we were trapped in a juggling act. I'm guessing Owen felt left out because he got up at one point to make his presence known. It was not fun. Through out the weekend his fever went away only when given Motrin. This morning Mom and I took Blake to the Doc. Luckily, at this point, there is no infection, but if the fever continues longer than a day or so more, we're to return for another check up. In a way I am sitting there thinking, "gee Blake, could you have picked a worse time to get sick?" But on the other hand, I'm glad it happened when my mom was here to help out.

At this very moment, I am enjoying the peace and quiet of all three children sleeping. Wow, three children...did I really just write that? Crazy, crazy.

In other news, I just heard by BFF Jo might come visit this weekend, which would be perfect b/c we'll be between family. Man, I can't wait to see her. Hopefully it will work out.

That's all the updates I have for now.

No comments: