Monday, November 3, 2008

Just Get Out & Vote

I know I tend to have very strong political opinions. Just ask anyone who knows me. But I still believe in our right to vote, so whether or not you agree with me...get out there and vote. It's not that hard, and it is that important. Besides if you don't vote, you then have no right to complain about taxes, wars, or even potholes in the middle of the road. And even if your candidate loses, then you can say, "Don't blame me, I voted for ____." Just like I can do here in Maryland. Seriously, don't blame me that the governor is a complete failure, I voted for Ehrlich.

But don't be a dumb voter either. Don't vote for someone just because of the color of their skin or their party affiliation, and don't be a one issue voter either...like abortion. Educate yourself on the issues (and yes, at this point, it might require you to pull an all nighter). Know what your candidate stands for, and be realistic about the amount of political b.s. that will flow from their traps during the election. For instance, democrats don't cut taxes or support the military, and republicans tend to not have much of a backbone and allow the dems to run all over them.

Most of you won't remember this, if you are my age, but Clinton ran on cutting taxes in 1994, and we all know where that led...that's right, higher taxes (and he left the White House in shambles and the country in an actual recession). So let's be real about what comes out of Obama's mouth. It's all rubbish. No one seems to be concerning themselves with who he is as a person. Did you know that in his "acclaimed" book, he tells atleast three stories identical to those in Bill Ayres book? Yeah, and they just casually knew each other, right?

And let's just ask this question of the next possible Commander in Chief...could he infact get a federal security check? At least for that he would have to prove his citizenship, explain his associations, and divluge pertinent information about his past including drug use, schooling, and religious ties. I'm betting he couldn't even pass the poly, but that's just my opinion.

I realize it's too late to change minds, but since I don't get the opportunity to write very often, I'm sort of spewing it out of pent up frustration. I've been recovering from bronchitus, and I have to be at the election polling place at 5:45 in the morning to be a Chief Judge. I'm looking forward to it because I just love being at the center of it all (I know, shocking), but in a way I'm dreading it. I'm anticipating the tension, the partisanship, and the sensitivity. When I spoke to my democratic counterpart, I could hear the separation in her voice. "You can ask your team." Seriously, I thought we were all a team with one common purpose. At least that's how it was at my old polling place, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Off to make dinner and then to set up my polling place and meet my other judges. Wish me luck, and please get out and vote.

No comments: