Sunday, March 2, 2008

Aggressive Love

You wouldn't know by looking at this picture, but Owen is "aggressively loving" to his 9 month old brother Blake. When I was pregnant with Blake, I wondered if Owen would be jealous of the new baby. I quickly learned that this would not be a problem. He loves Blake; it just might be too much. The other day, while Jo was visiting, we're standing in the kitchen and I hear what seems to be a struggle. Jo and I round the corner into the living room just in time to see Owen riding Blake like a horse. As I'm sending Owen to time out for sitting on his baby brother, I just can't quite keep the giggles away. Most of the time Owen greets Blake by running full force across the room, arms wide open yelling "bbaaaaabyyyyy." Blake sees him coming and for a split second cackles with excitement before he's pummeled to the ground. Of course none of this bothers Blake in the least. He absolutely loves Owen. He's face lights up every time he sees him. There are a few exceptions to this rule though, like when Blake is taking a nap, Owen gets bored and goes looking for baby. Before I know it, I hear Blake screaming. I rush downstairs to find Owen sitting in the crib with the baby trying to give Blake a toy to play with. I think at this point Blake's not so happy with Owen for waking him up, but all is quickly forgiven...probably because by the end of the day Blake doesn't remember the episode.





In the car, they talk back and forth. I have no idea what they're saying because Owen is kind enough to speak in Blake's language. So to me it sounds like screaming, but I know they are carrying on a fun conversation, probably plotting against me. A couple days ago, Owen and I were getting Blake up from his nap and Owen says "Comeon Baby, Luts pay wth balls." He runs up the stairs and gets his ball shooting thingamabob, pats the floor next to him for me to set down the baby. I did, and they played peacefully for all of 24.6 seconds. It was pure peace.





Okay, switching gears a bit. Blake is now crawling...all over the place. It's always amazing to me how quickly they pick up on these new tricks. It only tooks him a day before he was crawling clear across the room, mostly to get into something he's not supposed to. Why is it that babies always go right for outlet plugs, glasses on the coffee table, or random pieces of paper? Man, if Estelle from Friends were real, she could represent him for paper eating. We'd be rich. Don't worry, I don't really let him eat paper or try not to at least.


Last story about the kids for now (and it has nothing to do with the dog): It was naptime, the tale end of it, when you expect to hear one or both of the kids begin to stir. All of sudden, Owen starts crying. I walk back to his room and open the door to find Owen lying on the bed naked from the waist down with both feet up in the air like he was getting his diaper changed. As I got closer, I could see that the bed was wet. Owen was hysterical. Now I'm not a detective, but this is my conclusion as to what happened: Owen went poo poo in his diaper, probably before he fell asleep. When he woke up, I'm assuming he was tired of a dirty diaper, so he took off his pants and diaper, got out a new diaper and attempted to put it on. Eventually I assume he needed to go pee pee, so he did...all over the bed, his clothes, and himself. It took a good 15 minutes to calm him down. Maybe this will make potty training a little easier. He's actually getting more and more interested in the whole process. He'll run into the kitchen while I'm cooking dinner and tell me that he needs to go potty. Of course he is butt naked when he comes. So we go sit on the potty. He does nothing, but wants to wipe with toilet paper, then flush the toilet and wash his hands. It won't be long now. I will overcome. Lord willing, I will overcome.

2 comments:

Jo said...

Okay. I probably shouldn't be laughing as hard as I am at the thought of Owen's little/major potty incident on the bed. I just can't help it, though. Hee hee hee.

Becca said...

Send your sister pics now!
Too funny about Peanut!
Post a vid of Blake crawling, would love to see that