Friday, March 7, 2008

Birthdays & Babies

I remember when all my discretionary income went to bridesmaid dresses, wedding gifts, and bachelorette parties. In fact the very summer Neil and I got married we were in three other weddings. That was one expensive summer. In fact, in total I've been in 8 weddings plus my own. That is a lot of bridesmaid dresses. Okay, maybe it's not 27 (by the way...cute movie), but 8 weddings in two years put quite a stress on my newlywed bank account. That was then; this is now.

I don't know what it is about this time of year, but it seems like everyone is either having a baby or thier kid is having a birthday. Three of my friends are due with their second child within the next week or so. Three of our friend's kids are having birthday parties within the next week. I feel like I'm Christmas shopping all over again. It would be much more fun if I knew what gifts to buy. Granted I have two boys of my own, but that doesn't mean I have any idea what to buy for someone else's kid. Maybe that's why I procrastinate. In fact this morning was supposed to my last day at the gym this week, but sitting here checking my email, I remembered that we had Ryland's birthday party. It's one of those things you know is on your calendar for a specific day that seems so far off until you're sitting on your couch one morning and realize that thing is today. Yep, that was me. Needless to say there will be no trips to the gym this morning. Instead I will be heading to Target to find the perfect gift for a 4 year old boy.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a burden. We all know how much I love to shop especially when there is a deal involved. I just liked it more when it was for wedding gifts. It seems you can't go wrong with wedding gifts. After all, there is a registry. With kids, you don't know what they already have and/or what they need. And of course all those "super moms" will be there with their perfect, thought-out, creative gifts. What if mine gets the "look." You know the one I'm talking about...the "what-did-she-do? Pick-up-the-first-thing-she-saw-on-the-clearance-rack?" look. In all actuality, the look probably doesn't even exist. In fact, all the other mom's probably have a similar level of anxiety as I do. Maybe they think I have the "look" when in reality, my look says, "why-didn't-I-think-of-that?" Just a little social anxiety to release.

But if you think I have a hard time finding gifts for toddlers, just thinking about my nephew's birthday coming up on the the 19th is enough to send me into a tailspin. I have no idea what to get for a 10 year old boy. He's smart and very technologically advanced. Of course, I'll end up asking my sister what to get him, but to me, that's sort of cheating. Shouldn't I be able to figure this out? The sad part is that I only get to see him, and my nieces, about three times a year. Maybe it's time my sis and I arrange a week each year for all the kids to spend time together. My mom and my aunt did that with my cousin and I and we grew up like siblings despite the 600 mile distance. Just a thought.

Well, I am off to search for the perfect gift for a four year old boy. I hope Michelle will forgive my prorastination.

Thanks Bec for reading my blogs...see I mentioned you. maybe when I have more time, I'll do a whole expose on all thing Becca.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I definitely have the same gift giving anxiety, and you're right...it is much harder to buy for toddler birthdays that for weddings.

Becca said...

You should do that expose on all things Becca, that would be very interesting and educational. I am sure many, including myself, would be eternally grateful for a little Beccaism knowledge. That Becca is one amazingly interesting subject, you know she should be the topic of your planned book. Wow, what a read that would be!!!
Uh, Logan wants $$$ or video games (which IMO are so expensive that $$$ would be a better deal)He got the much sought after Wii for his birthday from us, so maybe that will help you since he needs accessories and games (did I mention how expensive those games were!!! For the love of Pete...)

A week a year, nah lets make it at least 2 weeks a year. We can meet at moms and sun at the beach club, yum yum!!!
I would also like to mention that the weather today is horrendous and I do not know how you decided to stay in Maryland with this kind of weather for longer periods, yuck!

Jo said...

If it helps, you are exempt from giving Adelle and Evie gifts. :)