Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Few (More) Good Men

It's nice to say that I haven't had any major battles lately in the war on poor customer service. Maybe that's because I've been dealing with smaller businesses over the Internet. I'm thinking I might be changing my ways a little. Before I was all about where ever I could get whatever I needed at the cheapest price, but I think that mentality (across America and not just with me) has gotten us where we are today...in a society that rewards poor customer service. We keep patronizing stores like Walmart because their prices are better. I'm starting to find that it may be worth it to spend a little more and support those willing to go out on a limb for my business. Small businesses are the heart of the American dream, and I feel like their slowly dying away. Now you won't find me boycotting Walmart or Target just for being mega stores that came in and took over. Nope, I blame the fall of the small businesses on us as consumers. It's our choice where to spend our money. That's capitalism, but I think I'm done rewarding poor behavior. It's like giving candy to a child pitching a fit because she wants candy. Hence the fact that I've thrown myself into this war.

A couple highlights for today:

1. I heart CFA. I'm telling you. I rarely have a bad experience around these cow-loving peeps. They are kid friendly and I just love that they say "my pleasure." Of course it sucks when I want to stop in and get a sweet tea on my way to church and they're closed, but I don't need the sugar anyways. Today, Michelle and I were grabbing a bite to eat (and a bit of work done) while we let the kids play. The operator, Chris, sees me heading for the counter for refills armed with a baby and intercepts me. He takes the cups, fills them up, and delivers them to our table. Now that is customer service. (This was at the new John Hopkins Rd. CFA in Laurel).

2. Say what you will about HMO's, but I love Kaiser Permanente. I called today to schedule Madison & Blake's next check-ups. The woman bent over backwards to make sure they had back-to-back appointments with the same doctor. She was kind, polite, and knowledgeable. I've never had any real issues with Kaiser. And with our government trying to force socialized health care down our throats, it's nice to be reminded that it's not all bad.

That's all I got for today. I'll let you know if anything else pops up.

Tomorrow marks the one year anniversary of my dad's death. Please know that my blog time tomorrow will be reserved for him. I appreciate your prayers and thoughts during this time. It's been difficult, and I'm still working through it all...even a year later.

3 comments:

Katy said...

I agree completely. I do my best to shop the smaller store when I can. Money talks and I'd rather give my money to a store that truly wants it and provides service for it! :-)

Anonymous said...

One of the classes I am taking now is called Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) and it stresses how companies who fail to think of the customer as the reason for being in business shoot themselves in the foot. Getting back to good customer service will turn this country around but we consumers have got to demand they provide the best service they can or we'll go someplace else. Kuddos Kiddo.
I have been thinking of your Dad all week myself. The time has gone so fast.

amy@flexibledreams said...

I feel the same way about restaurants. I'd MUCH rather eat an a family owned place than a chain.

And we love Kaiser too.