Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Always Amazed by the Amazing

I'm just going to call this "Camp Week." We're jam packed with activities all week, from counselor interviews to our Chick-Fil-A fundraiser for camp scholarships (which was tonight). Tomorrow is all about planning for staff training, and Thursday is a day long seminar on state licensing. You envy me, don't you? Well, with the exception of the state stuff, you should. It's in the details of camp that God meets me and blows me out of the water. Seriously! I guess that's how it should be, right?

Let's start with Monday night. We held our first ever group interview. This is an interview unlike any other. We play games, sing songs, and act like a bunch of kids, but really, it's appropriate considering we're hiring camp counselors. Last year, we had just enough applications for the number of positions we had available. Thankfully, God provided fully for our every need and we had a kickin' staff. This year we actually had more applicants, especially girls, than we could hire. How awesome is that? Of course that means we have to make decisions, and sometimes that means choosing the best over the great. I'm not going to get into the details. I just have to say that in this process, God has shown up. It's amazes me to see how he meets our specific needs, for skill sets, age groups, and spirituality. We're blessed, and I don't mean that in the cliche way. We're seriously blessed to have the absolute cream of the crop at Grace Adventures Day Camp.

And then there was tonight. When we first thought about doing a fundraiser night at Chick-Fil-A, I have to admit I was skeptical. How much money could we really raise? Would it be truly successful? Well, let's just say I'm currently eating my own skepticism, and it sucks because I'm already full of yummy chicken. I can't tell you how many people came, but I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of their customers were there for us. Can you feel the love? I know I can. I should know soon what the total number is, but the people are what ultimately encouraged me. We had staff, campers, Grace church goers, random friends of friends of friends. Heck, our middle school group opted for chicken nuggets over their usual pizza just so they could contribute as well (Thank Shaun & Light Company). We gained a friend on our Vision Team, gave out a few "bumper magnets" and even gathered a couple registrations. This was a key moment for me, encouraging and uplifting. For me, when the going gets rough, I'll be able to look back to this night as a reminder of our vision lived out. We're building bridges, people. They may be small bridges right now, barely covering the creek in the backyard, but it's still a bridge.

It's in the small moments such as these that I stand amazed by the "amazing." And I'm glad that I get to see God in the details, no matter how small they are.

1 comment:

amy@flexibledreams said...

And, hopefully a little sturdier than that bridge over the creek. Hehe :)