Monday, May 11, 2009

Oh Happy Day




When I was a child I thought it was the coolest thing to have my birthday near Mother's Day. It seemed appropriate to me that I got presents around the same time as my mom. I don't think it's so cool anymore. It just seems too easy to blur the two into one indistinct holiday. However, seeing as my birthday fell on Mother's Day this year, it was still a pretty wonderful day.


Lyle sent out a tweet yesterday that said if it weren't for the father's, Mother's Day would be just another day. How true that is, and Neil had a double whammy since it was my birthday as well. I have to say that he and the boys get mad props for making the entire weekend as special as it could possibly be. First, at dinner on Friday, Neil told me he wanted to buy me camcorder for my birthday. Sweet! Now you might be wondering why Neil would just tell me instead of buying it, wrapping it, and handing it to me on my actual birthday. Now this actually speaks to how well the man knows me. He wanted to give me the option of being surprised or letting me assist in finding the best deal (thrift guru emerges). Isn't that just the sweetest thing? I, surprisingly, opted to be surprised, but did offer up a few deal seeking tips. When it comes to electronics, I get more lost in the sheer multitude of options. So, yay, I should have a camcorder soon to catch those momentous occasions with my fabulous family (and camp as well).


Then, on Sunday morning, Neil made breakfast for the whole family, which is saying a lot because he feels insecure in his ability to cook grits. They were yummy, and he did an excellent job. Of course the kitchen looked like it had been attacked by an army of 5 year olds, but it's the thought that counts.


The rest of the day worked a bit like the any other day, minus the intermittent phone calls from family and friends (and those fun facebook wall posts). I debated whether to call mom to wish her a "Happy Mother's Day" or wait for her to call and wish me a "Happy Birthday." I ended up calling her...now I get the brownie points, right? We left a little early for church so we could stop off at the park and let the boys play for a bit. Since I had decided to look cute for church, I had Neil snap a few pics of me and the kids. Aren't they the cutest ever? I can't wait to get our new camera so I can take better quality pics.

Church was bare bones. I guess everybody was off visiting the 'rents. Afterwards we met up with Joyce, her daughter Kristin, Tim, Lyle, Rebecca & their kids at Red Robin for a birthday celebration. Granted Red Robin doesn't exactly fit into my Weight Watchers plan, but I planned for it and thought I did fairly well...considering.

So I didn't tell you about my birthday present to myself. Saturday I went ot my WW meeting, weighed in, and hit my 10% goal. Since joining weight watchers, I've lost 18 pounds (over 10% of my initial weight). I even got a funky little key chain to commemorate the occasion. I can't tell you how great that felt. The 10% also signifies the half way point for me, half way to my ultimate goal. There is light at the end of the table. Happy Birthday to me!






No comments: