Monday, April 14, 2008

The End is Near

"For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing." II Timothy 4:7-8

I can't think of better words to describe my Dad. He might not have lived a very spiritual life, or talked much about his faith, and I can't say for sure when he came to have a relationship with Christ. But I choose to believe that in the past few days, weeks or months, he has come to faith. I have peace with that, and I know that it doesn't matter how long you've known Jesus in this life, trapped inside this temporal body. If you profess, you will receive the crown of righteousness.

My dad's battle with cancer is coming to an end...imminently. I guess I knew in my heart, though I hoped not, that when I came down here, I would be here for the end. It's been a roller coaster over the past three weeks, but I wouldn't trade it in for the world. There have been tears, but there has also been laughter. For a few days last week, Dad was getting better, recovering. He was still confused and out of sorts, but he was still dad with his uncanny sense of humor and his love of life. In those days, he didn't even remember that he had cancer. What a blessing...to see my dad in his purest form.

Thank you all for your prayers and support. I continue to covet them, and I know, for those of you that are in Maryland, I will need them even more so when I get home and return to a life I haven't lived in for almost a month.

Some people have asked for an address for me down here:
Hillary Pennington
C/O Cathy Pennington
605 Kettle Creek Drive
Grovetown, GA 30813

I'll let you know when he passes and what will happen next.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hillary, I am so sorry. I am excited to hear that your dad has come to find faith and peace in Jesus. I know how important that is. I'm glad that you are surrounded by family and the love that they can provide for you. We will be here to do the same for you when you come home. For now, just enjoy the time you have left with your dad, you will treasure these moments for the rest of your life. We love you!

Hillary Pennington said...

Thanks Katy. It means a lot to me to read your comments and hear your voicemails. I'm sorry I haven't responded much, I'm trying to save my minutes, but please know that I love you and your support. Thank you!

Emily said...

Hillary, we love you and are praying for you and the rest of your family daily. What a journey it's been. I still remember the day that you were at our house telling us that you were pregnant and about your dad's cancer. Let me know if there is anything you need.

Anonymous said...

I understand completely. I'm glad that we can do something that may help, even when we can't be there with you physically. We're still here cheering for you, and praying for you!

Jo said...

Big hug.
If they'd let me travel in this crazy state, I'd come down tomorrow to be with you. Funny how they tend not to encourage full-term pregnant women to travel, though. Go figure.

Jo said...

One more thing... I love you.
http://babygarrett.blogspot.com/2008/04/death-and-life.html
Sorry I'm so useless on the phone. :)

Jo said...

that should have been
http://babygarrett.blogspot.com/2008/04/death-and-life.html

Jo said...

Of for crying out loud... the link won't work! Sigh.
http://babygarrett.blogspot.com

Clare said...

Hillary I wish I could be there to hug you and talk. I'm so glad you are with your family and friends in GA. Just remember there is a big circle of people back here in MD that has it's arms open to hug and love you when you return.

Unknown said...

Hills,
I have following along with you daily... Know that we are praying for you. Thanking God that He has given you this time with your Dad.

Stacey & The Boys

Anonymous said...

sorry babe... i'm thinking about you! ~ jen