Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My Official Stand Against Cancer

Who does cancer think he is that he can just waltz into people's lives and destroy them? I am officially pissed. Can I say that? Too bad, cause I am. Pissed, I tell ya, and you know why? Because I'm allowed to be. I retain that right. You might be asking yourself why my tone has changed so rapidly from my last post (which I posted like 25 minutes ago). Well, I just happened to check on my SWF friend, Clare's, blog and was shocked to find that her uncle has terminal cancer. He just found out that he has about a month to live. The infectious, arse of a disease has invaded his entire body, and completely wreaked havoc on his entire family.

So I am taking my official stand against cancer. Let's blacklist him! From now on, he's not allowed into any of our clubs or associations, and no more Christmas cards. I'd say we could pretend like he doesn't exist, but he'll just revert to his annoying little tactics. So, I say we go on the offensive, and kick some cancer arse (my dad's word, not mine).

I realize this isn't really possible. We can't just cut cancer out of our lives like Monica and Phoebe tried to do to Amanda on Friends. But that doesn't mean I can't try. You think, when you're young, that you're invincible. The older you get, the reality of mortality begins to set in. People close to you get sick, fight terrible diseases, and some die. I'll tell you that it would be so much easier to stick my head in the sand and pretend this isn't happening. But it is, and I don't want to wake up one day regretting that decision. So here I am, facing my fears, doing what I can. As hard as it is, it's worth it. I'm thankful for this time with my dad.

If cancer were a person, I'd kill him. I wouldn't think about it for a second. I'd just pull the trigger. I can see now why family members of murder victims want revenge. It just makes sense (though I do not advocate taking matters into your own hands). I can relate.

1 comment:

Clare said...

Thanks for your support honey. I appreciate it. And we miss you lots.