Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Pain is Not in Vain

I realize that being around me at this stage of my pregnancy may not be as invigorating as it would normally be. After all, I do tend to groan, whimper, and wince a lot due to the intense pains running through my pelvis and abdomen. But luckily for my sanity, and the sanity of those around me (especially those who live with me), it's not all in vain.

Today, Blake and I ventured back to the Doc for my weekly check-up. Last week, as I said in my last post, I was 1 cm dilated and not effaced at all. Also, Madison was sitting at -1 station (just above my pelvis). I half expected to walk into today with no change at all, cause that would be my luck (not that I believe in luck). But thankfully that was not the case. As I sit here typing, Madison is at 0 Station (head between the pelvic bones, which can't be comfortable for her). I'm 2 cm dilated and 75% effaced. What does that mean? It could mean she comes very soon, like today, or it could mean that she comes via Cesarean one week past her due date. No one knows. Well, that's not true exactly. God knows, but he's not letting me in on his little secret. I'm still hoping for her arrival before the end of the year. And if I continue to progress that could very well be the case.

We will just have to wait and see. In the meantime, I am going to try and enjoy the Holiday season that is quickly passing me by. I miss my family and it feels so weird not planning a trip south for the week after Christmas. I am glad to have my aunt & cousin close by. We'll spend Christmas Day with them in northern VA (barring any, non-Jesus Christmas babies). But in talking with my sister today, I realized just how much I miss all the hustle and bustle, and down right chaos of being with family at Christmas.

I have been enjoying the various events here and there that remind me of season. Yesterday Owen had his very first school Christmas party. He had so much fun and was so wore out from all the hoop-la that he took a 3 hour nap. I tell ya though, I can't figure out what his deal is with Santa Claus. He talks about his non-stop and how he wants a new train, but as soon as he sees him, he curls up inside his shell like a tortoise and won't come out. And it's not like this is new. The first year I took him to see Santa in the mall, he flipped out. Granted he was only 4 months at the time, but if you at all knew Owen at this stage, then you would know that he never discriminated when it came to hanging out with different people, except Santa of course. Every year I try and get him into that big, red lap, and I've never been successful. Honestly, I feel like I'm torturing the poor child. So, when Santa arrived at his school party, Owen runs to me and permanently attaches himself to my leg. Of course when he sees that Santa is giving out candy canes (by the way, how come Santa at the mall gives out nothing now and still expects you to dish out dough for the stupid picture?), he decides he wants one. I, being the torturous mom that I am, told him he had to at least ask politely for the candy cane. Eventually, Owen smiled at Santa and nodded toward the basket of red and white striped candies. Baby steps, people, baby steps! My friend Amy took a picture of all this. I'll post it once she sends it to me. Fun times!

Hopefully Madison will arrive safe and sound here in Penningtonville soon. When she does, be sure you'll hear all about it. Until then, be on the look out, either in your mailbox or here of the blog, for the much anticipated annual Pennington Christmas Letter. It should be arriving by week's end.

No comments: