Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Singing the House Selling Blues

This is going to sound contradictory to my title, but I'll get to that in a moment. We got an offer on our house today, a low ball offer, but still an offer. Surprisingly, I wasn't the least bit excited. Our friends Todd and Melissa were over for dinner, and were shocked that we weren't jumping all over this. I don't think they expected us to take an offer $30,000 less than the offer price, but maybe a little excitement, a crack of a smile. Now Neil was a little busy installing an outlet on the back deck, so it's not that he wasn't excited, he was just preoccupied. I, on the other hand, was lacking the leaps of joy. Most houses around here sit on the market for months without any serious interest. We get an offer in the first 3 weeks. So why am I not shouting from the rooftops? I'll do a little introspection here for a minute. I don't think I really want to move, at least not around here.

It's scary, the idea of selling our house and buying another. What area do we choose? What price range are we looking in? What about taxes? And lastly, how long are we committing to the new house, or more importantly, to Maryland? I've asked all these questions before, but it wasn't so real before. Once we accept an offer and sign a contract, we're on our way out. We have no choice but to find a new house around here. I know I'm probably rambling on, but this is how I process through my feelings. Maybe it comes down to a reality check. Leaving this house means giving up my dream to move south, at least for now. That's frightens me.

Plus if we get a contract now then Get It Sold won't come, and I really want them to come. I want that more than I want to sell the house. People think I'm crazy, but being on that show is like a consolation prize for me.

We countered on the offer, so we'll see what they do. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: